internetworkers - Re: Children's Privacy in D.C.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Children's Privacy in D.C.
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:15:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 d.m.kurilecz AT ieee.org wrote:
->The main difference between this new program and the usual ID programs is
->that the district government will be retaining the data (digital photographs
->and fingerprints) rather than simply handing it over to the parents. The ID
->cards will contain bar codes, and officials would like to use them
->eventually for everything from school attendance to social programs.

I thought that with most fingerprinting programs like in the public
schools the data was also retained by local law enforcement agencies in
order to identify children if found dead, mutilated, etc? (and of course
what better way to obtain - effortlessly - fingerprints for potential
criminals and so forth...)

->spokeswoman for the DMV in WV, who runs a similar program: "I think it
->ought to be mandatory. I just think it ought to go nationally. . . . That
->database could be used for many things."

Yup.

Cheers
KJ

  • Children's Privacy in D.C., d . m . kurilecz, 08/15/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Children's Privacy in D.C., K. Jo Garner, 08/15/2001