internetworkers - Children's Privacy in D.C.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: d.m.kurilecz AT ieee.org
  • To: 'InterNetWorkers' <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Children's Privacy in D.C.
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 07:37:30 -0400

D.C. Plans ID Card for Students
Aim of DMV Database Is Missing Children
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12001-2001Aug14.html

The main difference between this new program and the usual ID programs is
that the district government will be retaining the data (digital photographs
and fingerprints) rather than simply handing it over to the parents. The ID
cards will contain bar codes, and officials would like to use them
eventually for everything from school attendance to social programs.

Opponents include EPIC and a local advocacy group (Parents United for the
D.C. Public Schools).

The last sentence in the article is a quote from Mary Jane Lopez, a
spokeswoman for the DMV in WV, who runs a similar program: "I think it
ought to be mandatory. I just think it ought to go nationally. . . . That
database could be used for many things."

--
Diane M. Kurilecz
d.m.kurilecz AT ieee.org