internetworkers - RE: Lean on a Hacker; then get one of your file formats hacked

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Joanna Wolfe (919)677-0977" <wolfe AT oup-usa.org>
  • To: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT hotmail.com>, InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Lean on a Hacker; then get one of your file formats hacked
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:55:35 -0400 (EDT)

FYI - From information week daily, more on PDF virus

** Not Everything Is Peachy With PDFs

Security firm Vigilinx Inc. is alerting customers of a first-ever worm that
replicates using an Adobe portable document format (PDF). The PeachyPDF@mm
worm mass mails itself through Microsoft Outlook. Not only does it send
itself to 100 addresses from an infected users' address book, it also sends
itself to the users' alternative E-mail addresses.

Jerry Freese, chief intelligence officer at Vigilinx, says the worm was coded
by a hacker known as "Zulu," who also wrote the first E-mail worm BubbleBoy.
"This guy is no script kid; he is an actual virus writer," says Freese. A
user who opens a Peachy PDF sees a document that reads "You have one minute
to find the peach!" An icon requests users to double click on an icon to
"show the solution." If the user does so, and is running the full version of
Adobe Acrobat--not just the reader--the worm propagates.

Freese theorizes that the worm is a protest of the recent arrest of the
hacker Dmitry Skylarov at this year's BlackHat/Defcon 9 conference. Skylarov
was arrested for violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. He was going
to deliver a presentation about reverse engineering Adobe E-books. "There are
a lot of upset hackers about this," says Freese. He stresses that the only
danger is jammed E-mail servers: Peachy doesn't pack a powerful payload.
According to Vigilinx, users can download the latest virus definitions from
Symantec, McAfee, and Central Command. - George V. Hulme

For more on this topic, read
Full Disclosure
http://update.informationweek.com/cgi-bin4/flo?y=eEJZ0Bc5mz0510Quq0Ag

Service Kills Viruses Dead