internetworkers - Re: College sysadmin fired for quoting Dune

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Maria Winslow <maria.winslow AT dexxtra.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: College sysadmin fired for quoting Dune
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 11:25:32 -0400

Beth and all,
I got into Indian food a while back and learned to cook some things. Now all
the Indian
restaurants seem so terrible (I know - fodder for another discussion). Here
are my cookbook
recommendations:

First, to get a handle on some basics, "India, the Vegetarian Table" by
Yamuna Devi is an
excellent introduction. This book discusses technique and has lots of
pictures, which
really helps when you aren't sure what the end result should look like. I
recommend the
Gujarati wilted cabbage salad, the Bengali sweet and sour chana dal, the
black eyed peas
with roasted peppers, and especially the chili-mashed potatoes with fried
ginger. And the
Gujarati vegetables with lime and cilantro will never be found in a local
restaurant, stir
fried with lime, cilantro, and a touch of sugar at the end. YUM.

Yamuna Devi also has a book called "The Art of Vegetarian Cooking", which is
much more
comprehensive. No pictures, but a great resource after you master the basic
ideas. The
toovar dal with chopped spinach is one of my favorite dishes in the whole
world.

Hungry for meat? "Classic Indian Cooking" by Julie Sahni is another big book
(but without
pictures). I have had good success with the stuffed cabbage in gingered
tomato sauce, and
the vindaloo (made properly with pork) is well worth the trouble.

On a final note, there are three things for which there is no substitute in
Indian cooking:
ghee, fresh curry leaves, and asetafida powder. Fortunately, they are easily
obtained. The
source I know of is Patel Brothers, up on the hill behind Crabtree Mall. The
curry leaves
will keep for a long time in the fridge. You can make your own ghee, but the
stuff in the
jar is good. And the asetafida powder is just not like anything else. When I
have some
time, I will type up a couple of recipes.

Now I'm hungry...

Maria