internetworkers - Re: College sysadmin fired for quoting Dune

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: College sysadmin fired for quoting Dune
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 17:27:43 -0400

on Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 05:17:22PM -0400, kirk schmidt wrote:
> > Steven Champeon wrote:
> > The new Dune is actually pretty good. Check it out.
>
> New Dune? Newer than the one with Sting?
> That's the only version that I knew about....

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0142032

I had a few complaints, notably that the worms don't turn when the
riders hook them with the poons (Herbert explained that they hooked
the worms in order to irritate them, they turn to avoid the sand in
their delicate insides exposed by the hooks, and that's how the riders
got to the top - by riding the worm as it circled). It's a small
thing, but I remember Lynch got it right and this movie doesn't, and
it stuck in my mind.

Little things mean a lot.

But all in all, it's pretty good, and is a nice update if you got
sick of Kyle Maclachlan, though I still think Sting made an awesome
Feyd-Rautha.

So, along these lines, what are your favorite geek movies?

- Blade Runner
- Brazil
- Dune (any of them)
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- etc.

And don't tell me "Death Race 2000". That's not a movie, that's just
sick fun.