internetworkers - Re: RR hosting

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <david AT designhammer.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: RR hosting
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:54:06 -0400

Now Joe, I didn't say you couldn't, just that you "shouldn't." It is sort of
like saying you don't have to pay for software when you can get it all from
Hotline servers. While you could do this in a business setting, you
"shouldn't."

At least you admit you are being naughty ;-)

David

On 7/11/01 2:33 PM, "Joe Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com> wrote:

>> The only downside I have seen with RoadRunner is the very asymmetrical
>> throughput (up to 350KB/sec down but only about 35KB/sec up) and they do
> not
>> permit serving of any kind, even on business class.
>
> While it's true that they don't *permit* servers on their $39.95 a month
> service, that doesn't mean it's not possible to do so. www.komejo.net is
> running out of my house. For security, all you really need is one of the
> nice little gateway routers from Linksys or Netgear. They're a good idea to
> have even if you don't have a server, and you don't have to pay additional
> charges to connect extra computers.
>
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5
> http://www.netgear.com/categories.asp?xrp=4&yrp=12
>
> Having an UPS on your cable modem also helps, as it keeps your dynamic IP
> from changing. You can even set up a dynamic DNS service on the router to
> re-map your DNS if your IP changes.
>
> Of course, you should also take greater than average care in the security
> setup of any servers on RR, as they obviously won't provide any support if
> something breaks, or you get hacked. Also, nasty gangs of l33t h@ck3rz scour
> RR constantly for open boxes to attack.
>
> Of course, I'm in a morally indefensible position - violating my terms of
> service - so if they decide to cut me off, I'll have to just take my lumps.
> I've yet to hear of anyone getting the plug pulled though, and I'm not using
> much bandwidth, so I don't feel *too* bad.
>
> Joe K

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: dminton AT mindspring.com
> $subst('Email.Unsub')

  • RR hosting, Joe Komenda, 07/11/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: RR hosting, David Minton, 07/11/2001
    • Re: RR hosting, Steven Champeon, 07/11/2001