internetworkers - Re: NYTimes article: He-Mails, She-Mails: Where Sender Meets Gender

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael S Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: NYTimes article: He-Mails, She-Mails: Where Sender Meets Gender
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:03:01 -0400

I agree with you wholeheartedly. There are differences in communication
styles between people, and so its useful to learn how to communicate with
people who have fundamentally different personalities. Its fun to read about
the Meyer's/Briggs research, for example. I'm very sceptical, however, about
any research that divides the human race into very large groups, say half of
the population, and comes up with reasons why this particular enormous group
is different from another enourmous group of people. The differences in
personality types are going to overwhelm any small differences caused by a
group identify.

This is the same effect you get by making a group of anyone born within a
certain decade, which seems to keep a group of writers busy who can't think
of anything better to write about.

Michael

On Friday 18 May 2001 09:36 am, you wrote:
> What I don't understand is, why these types of things are of any interest,
> and why they are being researched. People are people, and each and every
> one of us is different than every other -- we're like snowflakes. The fact
> that I have brown hair as opposed to blond probably could be used to group
> me in a brunette category of email users. The fact that we're a bunch of
> technologists that like beer obviously groups us. As the only sane quote
> in the piece reads, "The key word is context."
>
> I'm truly disturbed with the continuing characterization of men's speech as
> "instrumental, functional or transactional" which implies that women's
> speech is everything but. This is a pervasive and untrue societal belief
> that fails to recognize the importance of human interaction. Humans should
> be more than functional - otherwise we can easily be replaced by machines.
>
> Whenever studies are done on the differences between men and women, or
> blacks and whites, or blondes and brunettes, it denigrates the basic
> principle that we are all human. Our differences should be celebrated and
> accepted, not analyzed. I'm human, damnit, and that's what I answer
> whenever some form asks for "race". That's all that is important.
>
> How's that for some strong assertions?
>
> Diana

- --
Michael S Czeiszperger