internetworkers - Re: NYTimes article: He-Mails, She-Mails: Where Sender Meets Gender

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Gina Norman <gina AT vnet.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: NYTimes article: He-Mails, She-Mails: Where Sender Meets Gender
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 13:28:51 -0400 (EDT)

> In other words, there's no research at all to back it up, and it might as
> well been an essay titled "Why cats are better than dogs". Its easy, just
> follow these steps:

Acutally, I think this might be a common newspaper thing: write an
article about a trend -- about which *real* research in peer-reviewed
journals has been done -- but leave out the names of the studies and the
actual numerical results (too "hard" for a "fuzzy" piece like this).

When I searched on Susan Herring, I discovered that she's done a great
deal of research on on-line communication styles and gender. I haven't
read any of the books or articles but based on the journals and publishers
involved (like Oxford University Press), I'm inclined to believe that
there's good science back there somewhere, whether or not the paper gave
us the details of it.

Here's her bibliography:
http://www.slis.indiana.edu/Faculty/herring/publications_no.html

In fact, you can read some of the conclusions themselves here:
http://www.cpsr.org/publications/newsletters/issues/2000/Winter2000/herring.html
(This is a lit review of the previous studies with full references. From
here you read the studies complete with numbers).

-Gina

> 1. Make up a title that sounds interesting.
> 2. Interview a few people with anecdotes that support your argument. With
> tens of millions of people out there it shouldn't be too hard.
> 3. Find someone with a title like "Researcher", or a "Dr" in front of their
> name to quote to lend credibility. It doesn't matter if they actually agree
> with you or not, just get something to quote.
> 4. Edit all the bits of interview and personal opinion together and
> presto--
> an article suitable for print!
>
> - --
> Michael S Czeiszperger
> czei AT webperformanceinc.com

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: gina AT vnet.net

My brain seems to have a circuit-breaker-like mechanism that, when I get
confused and befuddled by the overwhelming monstrosities of my life,
causes a default to the simplest and most pleasant of thoughts. Like
Marshmallow Peeps. I *like* Marshmallow Peeps.

Gina Norman And the only bit that
gina AT vnet.net (me personally) really matters:
ginanorm AT nortelnetworks.com (me at work) http://users.vnet.net/gina
gina AT earthling.net (me personally, again -- sick of me yet? ;)