internetworkers - RE: password protection

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: password protection
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 13:42:06 -0400

Could you restate the question with more information? There are a lot
of "ifs and buts" in the question. It isn't hard to limit access, but it
is a maintenance chore to deal with the stuff involved in a secure site.
SSL is a requirement for most any "real" secure site, but you may not be
asking for that kind of system.
Is it an intranet or open to the internet? Is it a mixed environment
(Windows and Macs) or one platform? How secure do you want to make it? I
have found at times that all that was needed was to unlink the URL from
a page and make the "authorized people" bookmark a URL. This just means
that the general population can't see a live link, but people could get
to the page if they guessed the complete URL. This is for very low risk
sites only, for sites which you want authorized people to see, but the
Earth wouldn't stop turning if someone else saw it. (e.g., local
non-profit board activities, personal bookmarks, etc.)
Steve is correct with NTLM and IE/Mac, it is problematic (much hair
loss with IE4.5/Mac on a project ...) I haven't had the stomach to get
back to test IE5/Mac yet for NTLM support.
Roger (in RTP)