internetworkers - RE: password protection

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: password protection
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 11:59:31 -0400

on Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:46:34AM -0400, Paula Paul wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to password protect a web page so
> > that only the authorized people can access to it? Our
> > site is running on NT 4 with IIS.
> The first thing that comes to mind is to disable annonymous access on
> the page or directory: open the internet services manager, browse to the
> web directory or page, then right click it and select 'properties'.
> >From either the 'directory security' or 'file security' tab, you should
> be able to disable annonymous access on a directory or page level. Of
> course that means that anyone trying to access the page (when using file
> level security) or site (when using directory level security) would be
> prompted for an NT domain account and password when they try to access
> your web page(s).
>
> If you don't want to link the access to NT domain accounts and
> passwords, you could to manage 'non-NT' user names and passwords with a
> database or custom code. There are plenty of third party tools and
> sample code available if you want to go this route - if you want more
> information on options, feel free drop me a line (on or off list).

Or, if you want to use what the rest of the Internet has used since IIS
was just a memory leak in Microsoft's eye, you could enable Basic auth
in IIS. Here's a rundown of all the different authentication methods
supported by IIS:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q264/9/21.ASP

HTH,
Steve

--
"Euphoria is not a business strategy" -- Louis Rossetto