internetworkers - RE: password protection

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Paula Paul" <Paula AT PaulSoftware.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: password protection
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 11:46:34 -0400

> Does anyone know how to password protect a web page so
> that only the authorized people can access to it? Our
> site is running on NT 4 with IIS.
> Thanks
> Stella

Hi Stella,

The first thing that comes to mind is to disable annonymous access on
the page or directory: open the internet services manager, browse to the
web directory or page, then right click it and select 'properties'.
>From either the 'directory security' or 'file security' tab, you should
be able to disable annonymous access on a directory or page level. Of
course that means that anyone trying to access the page (when using file
level security) or site (when using directory level security) would be
prompted for an NT domain account and password when they try to access
your web page(s).

If you don't want to link the access to NT domain accounts and
passwords, you could to manage 'non-NT' user names and passwords with a
database or custom code. There are plenty of third party tools and
sample code available if you want to go this route - if you want more
information on options, feel free drop me a line (on or off list).
Good luck!
-Paula