internetworkers - RE: password protection

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Paula Paul" <Paula AT PaulSoftware.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: password protection
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 13:08:11 -0400

> Or, if you want to use what the rest of the Internet has used
> since IIS
> was just a memory leak in Microsoft's eye, you could enable Basic auth
> in IIS. Here's a rundown of all the different authentication methods
> supported by IIS:

If you do choose to go with Basic Authentication (one of the
authentication methods you can enable on the tab used to disable
annonymous access, as described in my earlier post), you may want to use
it in conjunction with SSL. Basic Authentication means that the userid
and password will be sent as clear text (thus it's better to require
secure HTTP). Since Basic Authentication ties the authentication to a
domain account and password, you may want the password encrypted.
If you choose windows integrated authentication, the password will also
be tied to a domain account, but it will not be sent in clear text.

-Paula