internetworkers - RE: personal web sites take 2

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: personal web sites take 2
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 13:43:54 -0400

Having been there, done that, I strongly suggest -- beginning early in
your child's life -- liberally applying sharp wit highly seasoned with a
sense of humor as both mom and daughter watch/read/hear advertising or
other forms of propaganda....

Over the past 18 years, my female progeny has developed a very
suspicious viewpoint on what she sees/reads/hears. She can spot what
they're *not* telling you from 3.8 miles away, identifies -- within
seconds -- the advertiser's target audience, and points out (sometimes
with devistating sarcasm) those who have fallen prey to their
mechanations.

Admittedly, this can be frustrating because now I can't get away with
some of the tricks that my Mom used to control my behavior -- but OTOH,
the youngun does respond very well to rational logic. BTW, she is
somewhat of a "cothes horse," but she tends to make her own path rather
than follow the lead of her peers.

To illustrate, a story from 13 years ago:

We were eating out and the sweet child was just pushing her veggies
around her plate.

"Darling, you have to eat at least half of your beans and half of your
carrots before you can have any desert."

"Mom, my life is not desert."

She ate neither veggies nor desert.

"K. Jo Garner" wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2001, saundrakaerubel.com wrote:
> ->Lighten up everybody. Stop judging. To each their own
> ->Bygones will be bygones
> ->I still think Laugh-In is funny.
> ->Judge that!
>
> Laugh-In *is* funny. ;)
>
> But seriously, I want to give birth to a daughter who will nurse from the
> bottle of mass media and grown up with all the wonderful body issues and
> confidence issues that society - in the form of trashy women's magazines -
> foists upon them. Hoo-ra!
>
> What if you came home one day and found your daughter sneaking diet pills
> so she could have skin that is "more firm, less flab"; or christ forbid
> developing a lovely bit of anorexia/bulimia; or not speaking up in class
> because there's some cute boy in it and she doesn't want him to think
> she's a nerd; or was pressured into sleeping with a guy because he "ponied
> up some jack" for a date and well, payback is payback, right?
>
> Gee, can you tell I'm a feminist?
>
> Cheers
> Kelly Jo

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: beeline AT mindspring.com

"B"ing mobile
I always have more questions
Thank you in advance for your answers
http://beeline.home.mindspring.com