internetworkers - RE: personal web sites take 2

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Marybeth Lackey <mlackey AT raleighcvb.org>
  • To: 'InterNetWorkers' <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: personal web sites take 2
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 16:06:33 -0400

I guess my take on it is as humor, not as something serious to be offended
by. I have friends who make comments about boys, like her, or have lived
through a sucky date, like her. I enjoy her web site because it's like
catching up with a friend, one who you don't see too often, but is always
good for a funny story, that at the end, you think, "glad it wasn't me!"

If this site is in fact written by several people, and the character is
fictitious, then that makes a lot of sense.

As I said, it's not CNN. I think it's interesting that it wouldn't offend
you if it was a gay man or a parody, because, in a way, I think it is. I
doubt this woman/women really sit around all day wondering about their
latest love and whether their toenails match their new purse or not. But who
wants to read about a woman sitting at work, working? This is supposed to be
entertainment! I'm a "bad" person - I've never bought anything from the
stores that I'm sure are their sponsors. But I enjoy looking and thinking,
"$300 for a purse? I think not!"

Perhaps I'm too young to take offense to this kind of site. I do understand
why you object to it. I just took offense to people bashing it.

I certainly wouldn't want young girls looking at it, in fear that they might
take something too seriously. But honestly, in this world of Britney and
CosmoGirl (I think I even saw VogueGirl the other day!), it probably
wouldn't be anything they weren't getting from somewhere else.
---
Mary Beth Lackey
Internet Manager
Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau
http://www.raleighcvb.org