internetworkers - RE: personal web sites take 2

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: personal web sites take 2
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 15:31:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Marybeth Lackey wrote:
->It angers me as much to see people put down those who choose to be fashion
->lovers as it does to see fashion lovers laugh at a "geek." This chick
->chooses to write about fashion, makeup, shoes, and her dates. And yes, she's
->probably skinny and I hate her for that, but it's still entertaining to read
->about her everyday dramas, because we all have 'em.

Hi Mary Beth,

It's not fashion lovers I rail at, it's the inanity of the writing and
concepts ("pregos"? formulas for when you should call a guy back after a
date?) that irk me greatly. This "chick" is probably not a chick, but a
team of writers paid by sponsorship/VC money. And seriously, is your skin
firm? Because if it's not, "he he me" won't be interested.

I dig looking at fashion magazines. I just don't live and die by the sword
of the eyeliner.

I am fortunate enough to not have the daily drama of what to wear (does it
smell?), what kind of lipstick will match my toenail polish (uh, does
Burt's Bees count?), what Hermes scarf do I need to go with the Gucci
boots (rather, which pair of Birks to wear), etc. etc.

I could speak on feminism and taking a great leap backwards, but perhaps I
will save that for another day.

Now, if this were a gay man writing the site, I might find it funny as a
parody of straight single women cum queeny gay man.

At least this tripe is being read by women who are older, and not warping
adolescent girls' minds. Er, I hope.

Cheers
Kelly Jo