internetworkers - Piedmont Farm Tour

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Diane M. Kurilecz" <d.m.kurilecz AT ieee.org>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Piedmont Farm Tour
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:41:06 -0400

The Piedmont Farm Tour is this weekend, from 1-5pm. I went to two farm
stores yesterday.

The Maple View Farm Country Store is at 6900 Rocky Ridge Road in
Hillsborough {http://mapleviewfarm.com/}. You've probably seen their milk
in glass bottles at local shops. Milk (heck, all liquids!) tastes better in
cold glass bottles. My only peeve is that all the milk they sell is
homogenized; if you know of a local source for non-homogenized milk, tell
me. And, believe me, their butter is phenomenal! I picked up a tub of it
yesterday. I also had a cookies-and-cream shake made with chocolate milk,
it was quite good. Chocolate Chef Steve Vagasky (a graduate of the CIA) was
there, handing out FREE SAMPLES of his *amazing* Vagasky Truffles, also
available at Weaver Street Market. All of his truffles are made with Maple
View Farm milk.

Then it was off to Nu Horizons Farm Country Market, at 975
Pittsboro-Goldston Road in Pittsboro {http://nuhorizonsfarm.com/}. When we
inquired about eggs, we were told they had just sold the last dozen. So one
of the owners ran off to the hens to get a few more. The eggs were still
warm! My omelets this morning was delicious. The yolks were large and firm
and golden. We also purchased some ground beef and applesauce. The owners
are working with their new water buffaloes, and plan to have fresh buffalo
mozzarella within a few years.

I picked up a flyer yesterday in Hillsborough. Info is also available
locally at the various Farmers' Markets and food co-ops. $25/car for all 26
farms, or $5/car each farm.

**diane

--
Diane M. Kurilecz d.m.kurilecz AT acm.org
Readercon http://www.readercon.org/