internetworkers - Worm Email Virus

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tracy Hollister" <tracyhollister AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <webmaster AT innonet.org>, <dividendmiles AT usairways.com>
  • Subject: Worm Email Virus
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:26:22 -0400

Hello All,

You may have a worm virus as a result of my computer sending you back some unread email I had from you that restated your email to me, but had the words

Take a look to the attachment

at the bottom with a pif or scr attachment.

Here is info. about it:

(the information from the site above is below.)

I downloaded Norton Antivirus 2001 Pro (from symantec.com) and had to quarantine (it would not let me repair) the infected
files.  However, I think it's safe to delete those files as well.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.  I am sorry that I did not have antivirus protection before
and may have inadvertently passed this on to you. I hope you don't have to spend the hours
I have had to spend on ridding myself of this virus!

Tracy
755-5020

W32.Badtrans.13312@mm

Discovered on: April 11, 2001
Last Updated on: April 19, 2001 at 10:10:10 AM PDT

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

W32.Badtrans.13312@mm is a MAPI worm that replies to all unread mails in your email message folders, and drops a backdoor Trojan.

Also Known As: W32/Badtrans-A, W32/Badtrans@MM, BadTrans, IWorm_Badtrans, I-Worm.Badtrans, TROJ_BADTRANS.A

Category: Worm

Infection Length: 13312

Virus Definitions: April 11, 2001

Threat Assessment:

Low Medium High
Wild:
Low
Damage:
Medium

Wild:

Damage:

Technical description:

When the worm is executed, it drops the backdoor Trojan Hkk32.exe in the \Windows folder, and then executes it. It then copies itself into the Windows folder as inetd.exe, adds a run= line to the Win.ini, and displays the following message:

The next time that the computer is rebooted, the worm will wait for 5 minutes, then it will use MAPI to find all unread email messages and reply to all of them. The worm will attach itself to the email, using one of the following file names:

Pics.ZIP.scr
images.pif
README.TXT.pif
New_Napster_Site.DOC.scr
news_doc.scr
hamster.ZIP.scr
YOU_are_FAT!.TXT.pif
searchURL.scr
SETUP.pif
Card.pif
Me_nude.AVI.pif
Sorry_about_yesterday.DOC.pif
s3msong.MP3.pif
docs.scr
Humor.TXT.pif
fun.pif

Removal instructions:

To remove this worm, delete files detected as W32.Badtrans.13312@mm, undo changes that it made to the registry, and remove the entry from the run= line of the Win.ini file (Windows 95/98/Me).

To remove the worm:

    1. Run LiveUpdate to make sure that you have the most recent virus definitions.
    2. Start Norton AntiVirus (NAV), and then run a full system scan, making sure that NAV is set to scan all files.
    3. Delete any files detected as
    4. W32.Badtrans.13312@mm.

To edit the registry:

CAUTION: We strongly recommend that you back up the system registry before making any changes. Incorrect changes to the registry could result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Please make sure you modify only the keys specified.

Please see the document How to back up the Windows registry before proceeding. This document is available from the Symantec Fax-on-Demand system. In the U.S. and Canada, call (541) 984-2490, select option 2, and then request document 927002.
    1. Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
    2. Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
    3. Navigate to the following subkey:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
    Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

    4. In the right pane, delete the following value:

    Kernel32     KERN32.EXE

    5. Click Registry and then click Exit to save the changes.
    6. Do one of the following:
    • If you are running Windows 95/98/Me, exit the Registry Editor and skip to the next section.
    • If you are running Windows NT/2000, go on to step 7.
    7. Navigate to the following subkey:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
    Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

    8. In the right pane, delete the following value:

    run <path>\Inetd.exe

    9. Exit the Registry editor. This completes the removal procedure for users of Windows NT/2000

To edit the Win.ini file:
If you are running Windows 95/98/Me, you must also do the following:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type the following and then click OK:

    edit c:\windows\win.ini

    NOTE: If you have installed Windows to a different location, make the appropriate substitution.

    3. In the [windows] section, locate the run= line. It will look similar to the following:

    run=c:\windows\inetd.exe

    4. Remove the text to the right of the = sign, so that the line now reads:

    run=

    5. Save your changes and exit the System Configuration Editor.

MORE INFORMATION and INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE PERSON WHO SENT ME THE VIRUS:

This mass mailing worm attempts to send itself using Microsoft Outlook by replying to unread email messages. It also drops a remote access trojan (detected as Backdoor-NK.svr with the 4134 DATs; detected heuristically as New Backdoor prior to the 4134 DAT release).

When run, the worm displays a message box entitled, "Install error" which reads, "File data corrupt: probably due to a bad data transmission or bad disk access." A copy is saved into the WINDOWS directory as INETD.EXE and an entry is entered into the WIN.INI file to run INETD.EXE at startup. KERN32.EXE (a backdoor trojan), and HKSDLL.DLL (a valid keylogger DLL) are written to the WINDOWS SYSTEM directory, and a registry entry is created to load the trojan upon system startup.

How to fix:  delete kern32.exe in windows\system

delete HKSDLL.DLL in windows\system

delete inetd.exe in windows

Be sure to scan again with a virus checker to be sure you got it all.

Once running, the trojan attempts to mail the victim's IP Address to the author. Once this information is obtained, the author can connect to the infected system via the Internet and steal personal information such as usernames, and passwords. In addition, the trojan also contains a keylogger program which is capable of capturing other vital information such as credit card and bank account numbers and passwords.

The next time Windows is loaded, the worm attempts to email itself by replying to unread messages in Microsoft Outlook folders. The worm will be attached to these messages using one of the following filenames (note that some of these filenames are also associated with other threats, such as W95/MTX.gen@M):

Card.pif
docs.scr
fun.pif
hamster.ZIP.scr
Humor.TXT.pif
images.pif
New_Napster_Site.DOC.scr
news_doc.scr
Me_nude.AVI.pif
Pics.ZIP.scr
README.TXT.pif
s3msong.MP3.pif
searchURL.scr
SETUP.pif
Sorry_about_yesterday.DOC.pif
YOU_are_FAT!.TXT.pif

The message body may contain the text:
Take a look to the attachment

  • Worm Email Virus, Tracy Hollister, 04/20/2001