internetworkers - Re: Dear Californians

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dear Californians
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:01:54 -0400

lonestarnot AT earthling.net wrote:

> >California ranks 48th in the nation in power consumed per person.

> Saundra,

> Take heart, ... that sounds like leadership in conservation.
> (don't gloat; the low consumption may be due more to the mild
> climate than the broad application of conservation measures.)

AC is very much mandatory on any place in California in the summer. And
all the Bay Area is not that warm at wintertime. Even in San Diego, the
heater is needed for some times during wintertime.

Also, fridges, refrigerators and other cooling devices the
"power-eaters" in any given american household. I'm pretty much sure
that they are used in California. And there's lots of them by the kind
of climate.

Even more, not *all* California is "perfect weather". It's just along
the coast. A few miles inland, things change. Think about the ski
resorts in California, places like Yosemite National Park and all this
vast inland areas.

So they have they fair share on power compsumption. I guess that
insulation, more recent construction, newer AC and refrigetating systems
have more to do with it rather than climate alone.

> Try to have some humility.
> Whether CA pays its neighbors, or pays to build plants within the
> state, the bills must be paid. California's neighbors already
> supply it with a lot of electricity -- AND a lot of the water
> that supports the agriculture mentioned.

So, your point is?

Those neighbourng states are receiving income for their supplies to
California. So is not unfair. They are not getting power for nothing.
And from the water point of view, there's some pretty impressive damms
(man-made lakes?) in California. And sure it rains around Yosemite and
around Sacramento river.

Also, what would those neighbouring states do with the water that they
send to California? Turn it into ice and sell it to the Texans? Come on!

> And if you can take heart in nothing else, ... take heart in
> the recent report that 6000 times more solar energy hits
> the earth than is consumed by mankind. New homes are being
> built with guaranteed maximum utilities of $35/mo.
> So you know that when folks say "we can't conserve our way out"
> it's just a LIE. Stick to your wind farms, solar generation,
> conservation, and EDUCATION -- they all work just fine.

I completely agree with you here: Sun, wind, tides and fusion will save
the day. And education is mandatory. BTW, I guess California is the
state with one of the oldest recycling programs around.

> Bill

Regards,
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve