internetworkers - Dear Californians

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: lonestarnot AT earthling.net
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Dear Californians
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:44:49 -0400

>California ranks 48th in the nation in power consumed per person.

Saundra,

Take heart, ... that sounds like leadership in conservation.
(don't gloat; the low consumption may be due more to the mild
climate than the broad application of conservation measures.)

Take heart, ... it seems the White House is using this opportunity to
stab at our nation's long-term leaders in environmental protection.
Note, Houston recently passed LA for the country's worst air
-- though LA's in a basin and Houston's on a very plane plain.
It seems G.W.. & Co. want the whole country to benefit from
policies like Texas has. Tell 'em like Stanford told Bennett!

Take heart, ... don't let Reliant Energy's status as one of the
nation's most profitable companies frighten you. You know,
like they do, that much of the eastern US is powered by
municipally-owned plants. If California decides to move
the privateers out of their monopoly positions, all it takes
is the will and the leadership -- look at the TVA. (or Glasgow,KY)
And don't let 'em push you around.

Try to have some humility.
Whether CA pays its neighbors, or pays to build plants within the
state, the bills must be paid. California's neighbors already
supply it with a lot of electricity -- AND a lot of the water
that supports the agriculture mentioned.

And if you can take heart in nothing else, ... take heart in
the recent report that 6000 times more solar energy hits
the earth than is consumed by mankind. New homes are being
built with guaranteed maximum utilities of $35/mo.
So you know that when folks say "we can't conserve our way out"
it's just a LIE. Stick to your wind farms, solar generation,
conservation, and EDUCATION -- they all work just fine.

Redwoods are nice, but not great for furniture.

So let us know how it is to be back "home".

Bill