internetworkers - more subjective history question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: more subjective history question
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:36:40 -0500

So I guess the next question I have is, did Netscape fail in its
confrontation with MS because Apache undercut them in the server market,
which is where they were actually making money (as opposed to the
browsers they gave away for free)?

Obviously there were a number of factors at work there, the M$
monopoly
on the OS chief among them. But it strikes me that Netscape's
technology was superior for much of that battle, and Microsoft only
caught up in both browser and server /after/ Netscape stumbled.

TaB