internetworkers - Re: more subjective history question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Josep Lluís Guallar Esteve <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: more subjective history question
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:47:48 +0000

A Divendres 19 Gener 2001 10:36 pm, vàreu escriure:
> So I guess the next question I have is, did Netscape fail in its
> confrontation with MS because Apache undercut them in the server market,
> which is where they were actually making money (as opposed to the
> browsers they gave away for free)?

> Obviously there were a number of factors at work there, the M$
> monopoly
> on the OS chief among them. But it strikes me that Netscape's
> technology was superior for much of that battle, and Microsoft only
> caught up in both browser and server /after/ Netscape stumbled.

What I have known after some time is this:

First, NS made browsers for a price. Then, MS made its IE free, "bundled" wit
their OS.

This forced NS to make its browser free on Windows... and then on other
platforms.

So, when Apache made his big apeareance on the server market and IE was given
for free in the client market, Netscape was doomed.

Why MS made its product free?

Well, with an unknown browser, not so good, it needed a way to become known.
Like "Post It" stickers. Then, the strategic decission of making it "bundled"
with the OS and the MS tax (== all PCs come with pre-installed MS-Windows OS)
made it available to everyone... ***without need to install it!!!****

This was it.

Like VHS over Betamax

Salut,