internetworkers - Re: history question: Mosaic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: history question: Mosaic
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:41:43 -0500

on Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 04:33:49PM -0500, Thomas A. Beckett wrote:
> Josep Lluís Guallar Esteve wrote:
> > A Divendres 19 Gener 2001 09:17 pm, vàreu escriure:
> > > owned by UIUC of whom Andressen and Bidda and company were student
> > > employees. in fact owned by ncsa (national center for supercomputing
> > > applications)
> >
> > And then, those guys left the University and founded a company called...
> > mmm
> > Netscape.... This sounds familiar, isn't it?
>
> Apparently the original name for Adreesen and Clark's company was
> Mosaic Communications Corporation. Which led to my question.

Yes, and Spyglass/NCSA pitched a fit and they renamed the company
after the browser, Netscape. You can still get copies of the old
"Mosaic Netscape" - I have 0.93b on a disk somewhere :)

http://browsers.evolt.org

tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/