internetworkers - Re: history question: Mosaic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: history question: Mosaic
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:30:01 -0500

on Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 05:24:50PM -0500, Dykki Settle wrote:
> Lou's last name was Montoulli, a dour but enjoyable fellow who always
> maintained that any web page that was not usable by a fixed text terminal
> browser (his baby Lynx, for example) was essentially useless. Then he went
> to Netscape and created the immortal fishcam, and had one of the coolest
> (and largest) eels I have ever seen in private captivity, much less in a
> cube farm.

Let's not forget the BLINK tag, which was certainly Montoulli's fault.
I remember cornering him at an early Netscape Developer's conference and
asking him why if you nested two BLINK tags you couldn't get the text
inside them to alternate blinks. He looked at me with a horrified look
on his face (they were giving us free beer, and we decided that the
folks who laid out the nachos were Philistines because they didn't supply
any jalapenos, so we were drinking on an empty stomach) and mumbled
something about the difficulty of figuring out timing issues on various
platforms and then more or less ran away. It was fun.

Steve,
sharing too much, probably

--
tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/