internetworkers - Re: history question: Mosaic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: history question: Mosaic
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:39:55 -0500

on Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 04:14:45PM -0500, Thomas A. Beckett wrote:
> Would anyone happen to know: was Mosaic developed as an Open Source
> project or did Andreesen (or UIUC) always own it?

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/License/LicenseInfo.html

It's not truly open source (e.g., protected by the GPL) but the source
was always available - you just couldn't use it commercially without
licensing it from Spyglass (which is how Microsoft IE first came
about, FWIW). Andreesen had no rights whatsoever to the source, as he
was an employee of the school at the time and he wrote it under
contract with the NSF or someone - I forget. The UI still maintains
copyright over the source. You can browse the Mosaic site in its
entirety for historical reference:

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/

I believe httpd (the NCSA server) was public domain, or is now - the
Apache License contains reference to this, anyway.

--
tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/