internetworkers - Re: history question: Mosaic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: history question: Mosaic
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:25:41 -0500

on Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 05:01:32PM -0500, Paul Jones wrote:
> ncsa sued mosiac communications over their use of the name forcing mosaic
> to become netscape. (thanks to simon for correcting my spelling of eric
> bina's name). marc left ncsu after graduating and after his boss, joe
> h(help simon), wanted to freeze browser development and focus instead on
> servers. marc landed at eit, which also hired simon. then he left to found
> mosaic with clark. in a famous raid on ncsa, marc returned to hire the
> entire mosaic and http server team who became the core of netscape along
> with several others (lou "lynx" moutilli (sp.) et al).

Among them the guy who wrote the CERN proxy server (Ari Loutonen), the
guy who wrote XEmacs (Jamie Zawinski), and a whole slew of others.
People made a big fuss about RedHat and friends raiding the open
source movement and destroying its soul by introducing money into the
equation, but these guys did it four years earlier - before Linux was
released, again IIRC.

Also, in an interesting bit of trivia, the guy who designed the icons
for Apache (and possibly NCSA httpd - I forget), Kevin Hughes, worked
at EIT, and was perhaps most famous for writing hypermail - among other
decent, small, efficient pieces of software (swish comes to mind).

tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/