internetworkers - [a little humour] iXL Meeting and getting lost in the Beltline.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Josep Lluís Guallar Esteve <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [a little humour] iXL Meeting and getting lost in the Beltline.
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:09:34 +0000

Hi fellow internetworkers!

I am a good driver, but not that good a navigator. Yesterday we made it to
iXL, but too late. Do you want to know why? I'll try to explain it in
light-hearted way.

You know that I'm from Barcelona, and I am a motorcycle driver. Cars have
just too many wheels and are way too big and slow for me. My regular speed
when driving carefully was 85 mph. And, of course, North Carolina's highways
are way different from the ones found in the Mediterranean. So this was a
good recipe for a disater. :-)

We followed the directions ("...take 293B exit...") but, oops! 293B exit is
inside 293 exit. So we missed it. That was not the first time that I missed
293B exit, BTW. We turned around and went to the 293B exit coming from the
East. Well, this ended being a a good way to find a short-cut to the I-440,
becuse that's where we ended.

When we saw a sign pointing to Wake Forest we finally realized that we were
pretty much lost. So we left the I-440 (we did'nt know we were on the I-440
yet) and started to find out where we were. Having no maps of Raleigh doesn't
help much. We have to get one. Luckily, we saw that a Capital Bulevard sign
and discovered that Capital Bulevard is just another name for I-401/US-1.
This thing of having a single road with multiple name really amazes me. So we
went South, like a goose. After a pleasant drive through raleigh we found
Davie and, at last! got to iXL.

We arrived to a two-story building with an iXL sign on top. Unluckily, it was
well over 20:00 and both doors (upstairs and downstairs) were locked-up and
no one answered the buzzer. We decided that going home was an option. THE
opition, actually.

Anyway, this gave us a tour on the Beltline and downtown Raleigh. We were
needing it! Raleigh is NC's capital, isn't it? And this long drive also let
me play some of my favourite music tapes up to the end. :-))

I'm really sorry for not being able to make it on time. Next meeting we'll do
better. I guess. Or I'll bring a wider variety of music tapes. Or both.

Saundra: we'll talk next time.

Salut,
Josep
--