internetworkers - ground hog day mentoring event - feb 2, 2001

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "saundrakaerubel.com" <saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: ground hog day mentoring event - feb 2, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:42:32 -0500

Hi

Some people at tonights website mtg asked me to post information on the mentoring event going on Feb 2, 2001.

Here is my message from Gary Dixon of East Wake HS

Saundra

Thanks for offering to help our students at East Wake HS! As Michael said in
his email -- he came to EWHS and spoke to our JAVA classes about the computer industry and JAVA. Eight students from Mrs. Bonnett's JAVA classes expressed interest in job shadowing someone in their selected career area (February 2, 2001 is National "Ground Hog Job Shadow Day" and it would be a great time to have these students "shadow" someone in the computer industry). Most companies are having students visit for 1/2 --- 9am to 1 pm. or one full day. If a company can (not required) provide lunch.

Also, EWHS is placing over 350 juniors in career areas on February 2nd.
These students are working on a year-long career research project through
their English classes. At present I have the following needs --

- 5 students: computer programming
- 4 students: web design
- 9 students: network engineering
- 9 students: computer engineering

If your company can help by hosting a student(s) on February 2, 2000, please
let me know.

Thanks
--Gary Dixon

Here is the original post from Michael S Czeiszperger

Some of the local high schools are offering Java programming classes, and I
went to speak to one of the classes at East Wake High School in December
about careers in the computer industry. The main thing I came away with they
really have no idea of what being a programmer entails, and they have no idea
about the other jobs in the computer industry that don't involve programming.
Many of the students in this particular high school aren't planning on going
to college, and there are jobs available in the computer industry that don't
require a college degree.
What I volunteered to do was to help find people working in the computer
industry to participate in the Wake County "Career Shadow Day", so that the
students who were interested could see what it was like in our industry. This
program allows students to visit a company and talk with an employee to see
what its really like to work there. I think its the only way for students to
even become the slightest bit aware of what they might want to do when they
get out of school.
The students provide their own transportation, and while the times would be
up the individual, the suggested time period is 9AM-1PM. The whole event
takes place on Groundhog day, which I believe is Feb. 2.
If you are at all interested, please contact Gary Dixon at gdixon AT wcpss.net
for more information. Please mention Marilyn Bonnet's class, since ten of
those students told me they were interested in participating. There is also a
web site at http://www.wcpss.net/school_to_career/, where you can get more
information about this particular event by clicking on Groundhog Job
Shadowing Day. All told, I believe there are 15 students at this high school
alone interested in talking to someone about a career in a programming or
programming-related job, and I hope that between the Triangle Java User's
Group and the Internet Workers group there are enough volunteers to
accommodate everyone.
Thank you,
Michael S Czeiszperger | czei AT webperfcenter.com
Secretary, Triangle Java User's Group Board of Directors