internetworkers - Re: X-Box or Playstation 2????

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT pobox.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: X-Box or Playstation 2????
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 10:47:24 -0500 (EST)

At 10:37am Today, "laura AT cnewsgroup.com" typed :
> Hate to break into the nerdistan conversation ( I reviewed Kelly Jo's
> summary of Nerd vs. Geek and I am a nerd BTW).

I fall into the geek category except for the children part, but KJ and I
have had that rant before *grin*

> I have a big question. After the big debut Gates did on the MS X-Box
> (http://www.zdnet.com/special/stories/main/0,11415,2671755,00.html ) I have
> to ask for some opinions. Do I get my son (and husband too of course) the
> Playstation 2 this year for his birthday or do I wait for the mad Christmas
> rush next year for the X-Box.

PSX2. Loads of games, backwards compatible with the PSX/PS1, and *LOTS*
of vendors are making games, and the used game market is reasonable ($50
games going for $20 used). And by then, there should be lots of games on
the market for PSX2.

The XBox looks neat, but until i can buy one, I'm not going to hold my
breath. Remember how excited we were for NT5..I mean Windows 2000...back
in 1998?

> My son has said many times how he wants the Playstation 2 and I figure that
> the X-Box will be quite pricey, and more than likely the games will too.

Yup. If it's anything like the N64 market, used games won't be cheap,
either (N64 games go for almost as much as the same game new in the places
i've been). I haven't seen the games list for the X-Box yet, and nothing
I've read really excites me yet.

> So you gamers have an opinion? Yes he plays computer games too.

Get a PSX 2 if you can. Shoot, even a PSX/PS1 is cool. Make sure you get
the second controller, at least one memory card (2 is better), and if it's
the PSX2, grab the DVD remote kit, so that you can play back DVDs without
the wired controller.

Heck, I'm tempted to get the wireless controllers for the PSX/PSX2 so I
don't ahve top drag cables all over the computer room...

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist --
"I am Bad. I am Evil. I am...MOJO JOJO!"