internetworkers - RE: internetworkers digest: January 08, 2001

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Don Rua" <drua AT fullseven.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: internetworkers digest: January 08, 2001
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:29:23 -0500

Regarding:

"I find myself presented with a problem at work: a push to turn the Wake
County Public School System's Website into a profit center..."

I don't find the suggestion from the school system repulsive, but rather
naive.

If they want to have a web presence that pays for itself, they might think
of setting up a shopping cart system that is turn-key for each school.
There are a number of items that parents and children need, and they may
appreciate 'solving the problem' of purchasing them. Schools already sell
pencils, pen, paper, lunches, shirts, class rings, yearbooks, dance tickets,

and a million other items. Set up a model where each school can sell 'That
which is desired' by the target market. Items that schools and students
already need can be purchased online, such as entering my VISA number to pay
for a year of school lunches, or a regular account at the bookstore when my
son needs to pick up a folder or paper. That could save me time perhaps.
They should not have to advertise with banners at all, since most schools
have regular newsletters to let parents know what is available.

I appreciate the 'repulsive' factor, but schools are already selling tons of
stuff. Making it easier is not a detriment, and perhaps total sales would
grow for 'school appropriate' items that may normally be picked up at
Eckerd's or a sporting goods store.

Perhaps you can turn a big, paininthebutt assignment into a model that
serves the community without turning the school system into the next guest
on www.fuckedcompany.com .

All that said, and having worked in the school system and state social
services system in FL, I have little faith that leadership in a public
school system has any ability to run a 'for profit' business without massive
problems and burdens that will eventually be used to justify more taxes and
help. It would be more likely that an attempt be made, totally screwed up
from top to bottom by incompetence and greed, and then blamed on the
'inherently evil' nature of capitalism.

don rua