internetworkers - Re: Freedom on the web

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Freedom on the web
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 12:11:13 -0500

"saundrakaerubel.com" wrote:
> in a recent discussion with the CEO of Napster, I pointed out to him that a
> recent article stated that "in the week ending December 24, 2000, 45.4
> million albums were sold, with traditional chain record stores seeing the
> greatest increases in sales ....

My my, the CEO of Napster? Well two can play that game, as I was just
yesterday speaking with the CEO of the Tanglewood Cafe in Durham, and
told him "I'll have a tall latte, please."

Kidding aside, you're right on the money WRT to "free" music on the
Web. I don't know any regular Napster users who haven't broadened their
musical tastes and collections by trying out music at low cost & low
risk on Napster, and then buying the product they like the best in the
music stores.

Josep Lluís Guallar Esteve wrote:
> In my opinion, if the music industry cannot control a distribution channel,
> whatever indirect and direct benefits they get from its existence, this
> channel will be evil per se. Specially if this channel means that it cannot
> be bought through marketing and other "friendly" commercial tactics.

Excellent point, Mr. Sinner. It's all about control of resources.
(One of my pet theories is that 90% of human psychology and behavior
boils down to controlling one's environment.)

TaB