internetworkers - Re: Freedom on the web

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "saundrakaerubel.com" <saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Freedom on the web
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 09:24:43 -0500

Hi
One point on the music issue:

in a recent discussion with the CEO of Napster, I pointed out to him that a recent article stated that "in the week ending December 24, 2000, 45.4 million albums were sold, with traditional chain record stores seeing the greatest increases in
sales. In all, the sales were up 13.6 percent from 1999 sales. Every hard record sales statistic I've seen in recent memory is trending upward. So where is the financial harm caused by online file swapping? And if numbers such as those released this week continue rolling in, the RIAA and the record labels' well-worn argument that online file swapping is causing them financial damage is going to wear even thinner, perhaps to the breaking point."

It will be interesting to see what does happen with this in the year 2001. But as we all know there are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics.

Saundra

Saundra Kae Rubel

Information Philanthropist
If you don't like the technology, go out and make some of your own.
http://www.saundrakaerubel.com