internetworkers - Re: Freedom on the web

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Josep Lluís Guallar Esteve <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Freedom on the web
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 11:50:30 +0000

A Diumenge 07 Gener 2001 02:24 pm, vàreu escriure:
> Hi
> One point on the music issue:

> in a recent discussion with the CEO of Napster, I pointed out to him that a
> recent article stated that "in the week ending December 24, 2000, 45.4
> million albums were sold, with traditional chain record stores seeing the
> greatest increases in
> sales. In all, the sales were up 13.6 percent from 1999 sales. Every hard
> record sales statistic I've seen in recent memory is trending upward. So
> (...)

> Saundra

I remember seeing in Slashdot (http://slashdot.org) a pointer to an
interesting article. There, in a survey done to music buyers, was clear that
the people that uses Napster was the one thas was buying more music. They
were defined as "music lovers". And their expenses on music was increasing.

It also confirmed that the music industry had increased its benefits since
Napster went on-line.

Where's the harm, then?

In my opinion, if the music industry cannot control a distribution channel,
whatever indirect and direct benefits they get from its existence, this
channel will be evil per se. Specially if this channel means that it cannot
be bought through marketing and other "friendly" commercial tactics.

So, if they can control Napster or making it a comodity that generates money,
then, maybe, it will be considered good.

My $0.02

Salut,
Sinner
--