internetworkers - Re: High-tech homing devices worry privacy advocates

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Demers <david AT designNation.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: High-tech homing devices worry privacy advocates
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:39:19 -0500

A Dimecres 03 Gener 2001 10:41 pm, výreu escriure:
HI

So what do you all think? Is this going too far? Or is it another way to
protect our children from the perils of real life.

How do you plan to attach a homing device to a kid? After the first
water-hole jump-in or bumpy-ride with a scotter, such a device will stop
working for sure. Kids are rough riders...

And, anyway, where is it going to be attached? Will it have harmful microwave
radiation?

My opinion is that such a device will plainly not work.

But, in the end... do we really want to "nineteen-eightyfour" our kids? Do we
want to protect our kids so much that, when confronted with the real world,
they will no understand it?

i don't think the question is whether or not it's possible. if
technology has taught us anything, it's that almost anything we can
imagine is possible. the 1984 statement strikes me as much more to
the point. just because such a system has its good uses, like
tracking lost mountain climbers, does that mean we want it to become
a commonplace means of tracking rebellious teens skipping school?
talk about breeding a culture of distrust and paranoia. seems like
the technology will be such that parents will be able to "mark"
at-risk kids without their consent. don't these kids have a right to
their own privacy too? if only up a point, then where do we draw the
line?

as far as cell phones and pda's, won't those stop working as tracking
devices when turned off, giving the user ultimate control?
--

;) david demers
design nation, inc.