internetworkers - Re: High-tech homing devices worry privacy advocates

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sinner from the Prairy <sinner AT escomposlinux.org>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: High-tech homing devices worry privacy advocates
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:49:38 +0000

A Dimecres 03 Gener 2001 10:41 pm, vàreu escriure:
> HI

> So what do you all think? Is this going too far? Or is it another way to
> protect our children from the perils of real life.

How do you plan to attach a homing device to a kid? After the first
water-hole jump-in or bumpy-ride with a scotter, such a device will stop
working for sure. Kids are rough riders...

And, anyway, where is it going to be attached? Will it have harmful microwave
radiation?

My opinion is that such a device will plainly not work.

But, in the end... do we really want to "nineteen-eightyfour" our kids? Do we
want to protect our kids so much that, when confronted with the real world,
they will no understand it?

My 2 cents.

> (January 1, 2001 4:50 p.m. EST http://www.nandotimes.com) - Bill Brown got
> so worried about a young granddaughter involved in a custody fight that his
> wife told him to go out and buy a tracking device so they'd know her
> whereabouts.
> (...)
> The article is available at:
> http://www.nandotimes.com/technology/story/0,1643,500295226-500469819-50317