internetworkers - Re: poll

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: mdthomas AT mindspring.com
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: poll
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:09:20 -0400

Hmmm,

some school systems in Silicon Valley are planning on building
some apartment complexes so that their teachers could live close to their
schools. The valley area is seeing such skyrocketing
housing prices that *only* programmers can live there... which means
that Silicon Valley is a very unattractive market for civil servants...

If your a cop/teacher and have to drive two hours to get to work, how
long until you start looking elsewhere for work? What happens when all the
techies in the valley realize that their kids are being taught by
below-average teachers?

As a fast-growing, tech. heavy area, we should also consider these
issues...

InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2000, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:

> And, what if I get fired? How long would I have to find a new apt, or is
> it the same as my desk - I'd have until the end of the day to clean it
> out?

I'm not necessarily *advocating* this whole live-at-work thang. It's just
something I was thinking about after hearing a couple people jokingly give
their address as
"Cubicle 343, Under-my-Desk, RTP NC." :)

With that caveat, and while we're blue-skying here, I would guess that
company housing would be like a COBRA kinda thing, where if you got canned
you could stay there for a bit of a while as long as you paid the market
rates for your apartment and re-focused the cameras onto your teenage
daughter's shower stall, or something. :)

LeAnn

---
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: mdthomas AT mindspring.com

  • poll, Leann Spradling, 05/31/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: poll, David R. Matusiak, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Leann Spradling, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Leann Spradling, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Greg Cox, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, mdthomas, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Gina Norman, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, charlotte walton, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Don Rosenberg, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, David R. Matusiak, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Brian Schlegel, 05/31/2000