internetworkers - Re: poll

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Cox <glcox AT pobox.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: poll
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:08:02 -0400 (EDT)

> OK. Say yer company subsidized housing on-site. Would you live
> there? Under what conditions?

I must have faith in the company's survival. I must believe the company
will not be remaking _Sliver_. I must have a rental agreement that states
clearly how long I have to get out depending on how I depart the company.
I must be planning to work at the company/in the area over 2 years.

The true owners of the apartments should not be the company itself, so as
to be (hopefully) less corrupt. I should have trouble finding a decent
living space reasonably close to work. I should have a job that makes me
happy enough to be working there that I'll give up the commute as easily as
I'll give up the personal freedoms.

Even then, I'm not sure I'd do it. I hate carrying a pager; I'm sure a
homicide unit would be needed when some helldesk drone comes pounding on my
door at 3:30 telling me the MP3^WSMTP server fell over. I'd rather I had
access to a dark, quiet room I could use to camp out in when there's a rush
of work and I need to work nights, or when the gospel music being played
just behind me RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND kicks in a nice little headache.

  • poll, Leann Spradling, 05/31/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: poll, David R. Matusiak, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Leann Spradling, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Leann Spradling, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Greg Cox, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, mdthomas, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Gina Norman, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, charlotte walton, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Don Rosenberg, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, David R. Matusiak, 05/31/2000
    • Re: poll, Brian Schlegel, 05/31/2000