internetworkers - Re: the triangle...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ruby Sinreich <rubyji AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the triangle...
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 20:39:48 -0500 (EST)

Gina, what blasphemy from a native! ;}

Seriously, I used to think of leaving Orange County as a major road
trip... until I started working full time in Raleigh. Now (sadly) I
barely notice I-40 go by. People who take advantage of the whole Triangle
really are getting the best of it all, and I applaud you for living
life to the fullest. But keep in mind that there is NO way to do that in
the Triangle without owning, and spending a good bit of time in, a car.

I live in downtown Chapel Hill, where I think I get a hell of a lot of
bang for my buck without having to drive. (Except of course to work,
unfortunately, but I'm working on that.)

I must take exception to statements that the different towns and cities
are just different neighborhoods in a bustling, sprawling
neighborhoods. They are this in a way, but they also have very very
different histories, demographics, elected officials, economies, planners,
etc. I like the diversity, and I also cherish the distinction.

And for the record, I think Carrboro is The Bomb and I don't even live
there (but I can walk there in 10 minutes). There's only one town in
North Carolina with a openly-gay Mayor, plus the proprietor of Hell on
it's Board to boot!

= Ruby

PS: Speaking of my great location, I am still looking for a housemate. See
http://metalab.unc.edu/rubyji/home.html if you care.

R u b y S i n r e i c h
rubyji AT metalab.unc.edu
http://metalab.unc.edu/rubyji