internetworkers - Re: the triangle...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steve Burnett <sburnett AT webslingerZ.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the triangle...
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 20:01:49 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Gina Norman wrote:

> a small place really...
>
> What really wiggs me out is the way many folks (like my mom, most notably)
> act like the different cities in the Triangle are so ... separate.

Same here: I'm constantly amazed at the number of people I know who will
not drive out of their city limits except under duress, and who
complain about things such as "Cary needs more classy restaurants because
ChHill/Durham/5 Points in Raleigh is too far to go".

Of course, I live in west Raleigh, officially work either in Cary or
Carrboro, Dj in Durham, volunteer in northwest Durham, spend evenigns
often in [RTP|ChHill|Raleigh] and have plans to be at the Cat's Cradle
this evening, so for me my city is RTP. That probably comes from living in
Charlotte for several years, where "sprawl" is a polite way of describing
the lack of urban planning. Come to think of it, it takes me about as long
to drive across Charlotte as it does to cross the Triangle, and I had loci
of interest spread across about the same geographic range I do know. So
much for new behavior patterns....

regards,
Badger
--
onNow: OP
Steve Burnett Admin, webslingerZ sburnett AT webslingerz.com