internetworkers - Re: Knockoff Site

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: viles AT ils.unc.edu ("Charles L. Viles")
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu (InterNetWorkers)
  • Cc: joe AT komejo.com (Joe Komenda)
  • Subject: Re: Knockoff Site
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:43:33 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

I would guess this is pretty common. This happened to Bert Dempsey at SILS
two or three years ago -
he found a prof at another university that had scarfed almost all of his
online content for an
Internet class he taught. Even assignments etc. Borderline copyright trouble
and ethically *bad*
from an academic standpoint.

Charlie Viles
e-mail: viles AT ils.unc.edu
web: http://ils.unc.edu/~viles/
snail: SILS, CB #3360, UNC-CH, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3360

-- Begin original message --

> Hey all,
>
> This is certainly interesting - one of Buildscape.com's
> (http://www.buildscape.com/)
> partners brought this to our attention. A site by name of
> http://www.thebuilderspage.com/ seems
> to have crawled all or part of our site and lifted our images, content,
> etc.. Compare:
>
> http://www.thebuilderspage.com/customerservice/index.html
> with http://www.buildscape.com/customerservice/
>
> It was much worse yesterday - it looked like a bizarro version of
> Buildscape - they've been
> busy moving our content into a new template. I haven't heard of anything
> this blatant going on
> before. We've been making screen shots, and our lawyers are looking into it
> - do any of you have
> helpful advice or witty commentary?
>
> Joe Komenda
> Senior Web Developer