internetworkers - blizzard facts

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: blizzard facts
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 01:38:55 -0500

Chris Owens wrote:
> Up late snow-watching?
Yes, in the flesh and, of course, Internet-mediated:
http://robocam.wral-tv.com/pri/icam?func=getimage&name=camera1&scale=0.5&quality=balanced$&viewfinder.x=181&viewfinder.y=61

> Hey guys, since you're up, how's about a description
> of the average internetworkers' gathering (for someone who was pointed to
> the mailing list by a friend...).

Well, we're trying really hard to keep away from the average, and from
falling into a rut. But basically, about 30-40 Internet types get
together in a comfortable public establishment and swill craft beers and
talk about anything that comes into their heads. This can and does
include shop talk and biz, but is by no means confined to that. Some
folks circulate and others plant themselves at a table the whole night.
Most times a little food is involved, too. Poor beleaguered wait
persons scurry to and fro, trying desparately to match geeks with their
dinners -- and later their checks -- as they circulate around the room.

"K. Jo Garner" wrote:

> OK, my housemates and I just had a brief discussion of this. I say that if
> you can't see shit, the wind is blowing *and* there's thick heavy snow
> coming down, then it's a blizzard. Housemate #1 qualifies blizzard as just
> can't see shit, and Housemate #2 says that there has to be more than a
> foot of snow on the ground.

The Web is so damn handy sometimes:

Main Entry: bliz·zard
Pronunciation: 'bli-z&rd
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1870
1 : a long severe snowstorm
2 : an intensely strong cold wind filled with fine snow
3 : an overwhelming rush or deluge <the blizzard of mail at Christmas>
- bliz·zardy /'bli-z&r-dE/ also bliz·zard·ly /-"z&rd-lE/ adjective
http://www.m-w.com/home.htm

I think that the term applies relative to geography. In Syracuse or
Sapporo this storm would be of no consequence, and folks there would
convulse in fits of derisive laughter at the paralysis it will cause our
humble communities upon the morrow. But here in the land of the
Longleaf Pine, this is a blizzard, damn it!

Tom