internetworkers - Re: internetworkers digest: December 06, 1999

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steele Designs <steele AT sdgbiz.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: internetworkers digest: December 06, 1999
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 03:32:23 -0800

Morn' all!

It's three o'clock in the morning and I am just woke up from a bad dream.
The Beegees were relentlessly chasing me all over the place singing the
song Staying Alive. It was Horrific. Andy Gibb was especially sinister. I
know he wasn't in the group but dreams are funny like that. Since I am up
I might as well get some work done.

I would love a discussion on the Internet and the world. I don't know how
much I would have to offer except avid interest.

I would also like to add the topic to Michael's list, Ways American
companies can take advantage of the burgeoning and the more established
foreign Internet markets.

Would this be a separate meeting or part of the mixer?

Steve Steele
Client Solutions Rep.
S D & G
(919) 489-4421
http://www.SDGBiz.com
Steve AT SDGBiz.com

At 12:00 AM 12/7/99 -0500, you wrote:
>InterNetWorkers Digest for Monday, December 06, 1999.
>
>1. Re: job search
>2. December 9 reminder
>3. Thanks to Uzoma!
>4. RE: December 9 reminder
>5. "Internet around the world" roundtable?
>6. Re: "Internet around the world" roundtable?

>Subject: Re: job search
>From: cemerick AT us.ibm.com
>Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:15:26 -0500
>
>Uzoma,
>
>I have a neighbor who works for Nortel's manufacturing group (can't
>remember specific division name). He tells me they are hiring contractors
>at $20/ hour.
>
>Send your resume to me (cemerick AT us.ibm.com) and I'll pass it along. This
>was a few weeks ago, but they may still be hiring...
>
>Sorry I can't make it to the get together this Thursday. See you all at
>the next meeting.
>
>Happy Holidays!
>
>Craig
>

>"Uzoma Nwosu" <beatbou AT bellsouth.net> on 12/02/99 04:02:21 PM
>
>Please respond to "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>
>To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>cc:
>Subject: [internetworkers] job search
>

>Hello guys,
>
>I'm looking for some work doing desktop support. If anyone has any leads,
>would greatly appreciate it if you drop me a line. After all, this what TB
>said this list was for. :)
>
>Uzoma
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: cemerick AT us.ibm.com
>$subst('Email.Unsub')

>Subject: December 9 reminder
>From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
>Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 16:21:11 -0500
>
> Y'all remember that InterNetWorkers is convening this coming Thursday
>at 7:00 p.m. That would be December the 9th, and it will be at W.B.
>Yeats's Irish Pub, at 306 West Franklin Street, in Chapel Hill. That
>back from the street behind the Vespa restaurant. Near the Wicked
>Burrito. For you old-timers, its in approximately the location where
>Big Bertha used to be.
>
> Heck, here's a map:
>http://mapquest.com/cgi-bin/ia_find?screen=ia_find&link=ia-map-result&uid=u
3a6t8z3b5t8o2gu:algu82l62

> Don't forget to RSVP that you're coming, if you haven't already. From
>the responses I've already received, this looks to be a lively time.
>There was a suggestion that mistletoe be provided, too. Thanks to Uzoma
>Nwosu for organising the festivities! See you there,
>
>Tom Beckett

>Subject: Thanks to Uzoma!
>From: Michael Thomas <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
>Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 16:24:44 -0500
>

>I'm frantic to be the first to thank Uzoma for planning the December
Internetworker's
>gathering. December is always the hardest month for groups like ours, but
Uzoma's efforts

http://yp.infospace.com/info/Busdetails?QI=5122753&CO=2&QD=yp2ad&BR=0&type=m
>> ap

http://triangle.citysearch.com/page/gen?_template=%2Fentity%2Fentity_map.htm

l&_entity_id=V-RDUNC-20102947&address=306-D+W+Franklin+St&city=Chapel+Hill&s

tate=NC&postal_code=27516&cross_street=Malette+Street&phone=%28919%29+969-66
>> 00&x=34&y=6

http://triangle.citysearch.com/page/gen?_template=route%2Froute_result.html&;

start_info=WADE+AVE+AT+440%40RALEIGH%40NC%4000000%40358037%40-786934&street_

2=306-D+W+Franklin+St&city_2=Chapel+Hill&state_2=NCNC&postal_code_2=27516&ro
>> ute_type=door_to_door&display_type=overview&avoid_ferry=1
>>
>> ---
>> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
mdthomas AT metalab.unc.edu
$subst('Email.Unsub')

> [...]
>of how the Internet is viewed and used across the globe.
>
>Here's a brainstorm of how an agenda might look:
>
>* Thomas could speak on his Japan trip
>* I have an upcoming trip to Helsinki -- arguably one of the most wired
>cities on earth -- that might garner some content
>* Maybe a technical presentation on the challenges of multi-lingual web
>sites
>* Anybody have a good viewpoint/eye-witness account of the Internet
>pervading a culture?
>* How about the Internet and developing nations?
>* Maybe some debate on the question: Is the Internet just more American
>culture being exported to the world?
>
>Thoughts???

>Subject: Re: "Internet around the world" roundtable?
>From: "John M. Stonham" <jmstonham AT mindspring.com>
>Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:55:41 -0500
>
>I work for an Internet start-up based in RTP called Subotai, and I would
>welcome the opportunity to participate in such a forum.
>
>Subotai's focus is *very* internationalized, and as such I feel we would
>have something to offer.
>
>If there is a strong interest within InterNetWorkers in discussing this
>further, I would be willing to make an effort to attend this Thursday's
>meeting (I'm scheduled to go out of town), as I feel it is an excellent
>idea.
>
>regards,
>
>John
>

>> Hey,
>>
>> Many of y'all seem interested in Thomas Beckett's recent trip to Japan
>> -- Steve Steele even suggested that Thomas should give a presentation
>> about it. I'm sure that many of us
>> have had personal experiences with how the different cultures of the
>> world use the Internet and develop technology in general....
>>
>> Therefore, I propose that we gather for an "Internet around the world"
>> roundtable sometime in the next couple of months. The focus on the
>> gathering will be a discussion
>> of how the Internet is viewed and used across the globe.
>>
>> Here's a brainstorm of how an agenda might look:
>>
>> * Thomas could speak on his Japan trip
>> * I have an upcoming trip to Helsinki -- arguably one of the most wired
>> cities on earth -- that might garner some content
>> * Maybe a technical presentation on the challenges of multi-lingual web
>> sites
>> * Anybody have a good viewpoint/eye-witness account of the Internet
>> pervading a culture?
>> * How about the Internet and developing nations?
>> * Maybe some debate on the question: Is the Internet just more American
>> culture being exported to the world?
>>
>> Thoughts???
>>

>> ---
>> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
>jmstonham AT mindspring.com
>$subst('Email.Unsub')
>>

>---
>
>END OF DIGEST
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: steele AT sdgbiz.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')