internetworkers - Re: "Internet around the world" roundtable?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "John M. Stonham" <jmstonham AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "Internet around the world" roundtable?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:55:41 -0500

I work for an Internet start-up based in RTP called Subotai, and I would
welcome the opportunity to participate in such a forum.

Subotai's focus is *very* internationalized, and as such I feel we would
have something to offer.

If there is a strong interest within InterNetWorkers in discussing this
further, I would be willing to make an effort to attend this Thursday's
meeting (I'm scheduled to go out of town), as I feel it is an excellent
idea.

regards,

John

> Hey,
>
> Many of y'all seem interested in Thomas Beckett's recent trip to Japan
> -- Steve Steele even suggested that Thomas should give a presentation
> about it. I'm sure that many of us
> have had personal experiences with how the different cultures of the
> world use the Internet and develop technology in general....
>
> Therefore, I propose that we gather for an "Internet around the world"
> roundtable sometime in the next couple of months. The focus on the
> gathering will be a discussion
> of how the Internet is viewed and used across the globe.
>
> Here's a brainstorm of how an agenda might look:
>
> * Thomas could speak on his Japan trip
> * I have an upcoming trip to Helsinki -- arguably one of the most wired
> cities on earth -- that might garner some content
> * Maybe a technical presentation on the challenges of multi-lingual web
> sites
> * Anybody have a good viewpoint/eye-witness account of the Internet
> pervading a culture?
> * How about the Internet and developing nations?
> * Maybe some debate on the question: Is the Internet just more American
> culture being exported to the world?
>
> Thoughts???
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
jmstonham AT mindspring.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')