homestead - Re: [Homestead] a Homesteady post

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] a Homesteady post
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 21:11:53 -0500

On 8/30/2016 7:49 PM, Madison Woods wrote:
Don we haven't gotten any of our firewood ready yet this year and I know
we're going to regret that later.

I am hoping it will be dry by early November. I checked it the other day and most of it is at 20% M.C. Should be OK when needed.
Year before last we were caught the same
way and had to cut during 10 degree days.
That is a good time to be in the woods, no bugs. Maybe this year.

Last year in June a flash flood caused a
landslide here that took out the driveway.
The second year we were here a flood washed a huge hole by the concrete crossing. Usinf my tractor and a borrowed tractor we filled it with as many big rocks we we could find then progressively smaller rocks until it was full. So far no more wash out.

He felled it in the woods too, and we're
cutting it in 6-8' sections so we can haul it to the sawmill to have boards
made of it.
I had a big Pine by the driveway that made a mess of anything under. I had it taken down and took one 12' log over to Gene's where we cut out four 12" wide boards. They will be ready to use this winter.

I am headed to another mill this week to get some rough Pine boards. My son bought a house in Connecticut that was built in 1915 and remained in the same family since. He needs to replace some door frames that are 7/8 thick. I will plane them then take them back to him in a couple of weeks..
What is "bucking the logs"? I've heard the expression, but haven't a clue
what it means, lol.
Cutting them into sections for firewood. That is what a Buck Saw is used for. I cut mine to 16"-18", not with a buck saw but a chain saw. I also split with a hydraulic splitter. This place is so well insulated that I can only feed one piece at a time into the stove. Otherwise it drives you out. We have to open upstairs windows most of the time.

--
Don Bowen -- AD0NB mobile