homestead - [Homestead] Community

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Community
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 09:15:23 -0500

This is part of Chapter 17 in my book:

Country folks are often poor but proud. Poor, that is, by urban definition.
It will not do to push them or talk down to them. Restrain yourself from
telling them how “we did it back in Metropolis.” They get all they want of
Metropolis on television. And you did leave Metropolis for good reasons. If
you are very lucky, one of the natives will take a liking to you. Most
old-timers are proud of what they know and will share hard-won knowledge with
someone who really listens. Listen carefully and you may avoid painful and
costly mistakes. Give respect and you will be respected.

As for advancing your well-researched, well-thought-out, perfectly logical,
totally irrefutable solutions for saving the natural world from destruction
by ignorant and greedy people, keep them to yourself—or write a book. Show
what you believe by how you conduct yourself. If it makes sense to the
natives, why, in 20 or 30 years some of them may begin to follow your
example. You will be there in 30 years, won’t you? They will.

"A community identifies itself
by an understood mutuality of interests.
But it lives and acts by the common virtues of trust,
goodwill, forbearance, self-restraint, compassion, and forgiveness.
If it hopes to continue long as a community, it will wish to and will have to—
encourage respect for all its members, human and natural.
It will encourage respect for all stations and occupations.
Such a community has the power—not invariably but as a rule—
to enforce decency without litigation.
It has the power, that is, to influence behavior.
And it exercises this power not by coercion or violence
but by teaching the young and by preserving stories and songs
that tell (among other things)
what works and what does not work in a given place."
Wendell Berry