homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blueberries

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blueberries
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:46:17 -0500

On Jun 17, 2012, at 8:26 PM, Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:
>
>> Lisa Perry, you still here?
>>

> Gene!
>
> I'm here! :) We just returned from the Salem Red Sox baseball game to
> celebrate Father's Day with our sons (now 22 & nearly 17). Salem's Sox are
> a farm team for Boston located in Salem, VA which is sort of a sister city
> to Roanoke.
>
> The timing of your post is a nice coincidence because I thought of you,
> too, just last week and wondered what the heck you are up to.
>

>> With substantially-home-produced goodies, we just consumed a fine meal.
>> For accoustical ambience I selected Scott's album, 8 Miles to Perryville.
>> Which of course reminded me of you. Which reminded me of your substantial
>> blueberry experience. I am very close to throwing up my hands and admitting
>> apple and blueberry production failure, due partly to more items on my menu
>> than time to enjoy them--the inevitable time challenges, the environmental
>> conditions here in this part of the Ozarks, and the knowledge that we can
>> buy good, organically grown fruit at somewhat reasonable prices.
>>

> Funny (and so sweet!) that you mentioned Scott's Cd. Cuts from that Cd were
> played, along with a taped interview of Scott, on an internet radio station
> earlier today that plays originals from lesser known musicians.
>

>> As I move through geezerhoodism, I am more and more skeptical of the
>> proclamations of food producers. So, yeah, I ever more prefer to grow my
>> own.
>>

> I am still struggling with gardening. We do okay, never great. But truth
> is, I'm the main (only) gardener. I get some 'help' occasionally, but
> really it's just me. And I don't feel like doing it all the time, so I
> guess you get what you get. My experiment (growing something new to me)
> this year (thus far) is cabbage. I have 6 heads and hope that at least 3
> make it. ;) I'd like to make sauerkraut in my paternal grandparents
> earthenware crock (in my possession - along with Grandma's blue canning
> jars!) like they did on their farm in sw IN.
>
> Bev N. has posted some lovely recent photos of her garden produce on
> Facebook. She and Ron are doing well (Ron gardens now, too).
>

>> We have thus far this year gorged on strawberries, cherries, and now
>> boysenberries. The blue fruit did not make it. But before I give up on
>> blueberries, I solicit you advice.
>>
>> Our blueberries have been mulched with sawdust and/or peat moss. A few new
> bushes we planted to fill in holes in a row were planted in peat moss.
> They've all made it. We still have approx. 45 bushes (+ six new ones that
> don't have much on them yet). We have mostly early and some mid varieties
> (Patriot is one). We started picking this year on June 6--the earliest in
> the dozen years we've lived here and beats last year 'early' date of June
> 15. We pick for a good 3+ weeks. If we mulched regularly, we'd have far
> [...]

Lisa, well, there's the solution: you guys move here and trade me blueberries
for cherries and the veggies you don't grow.

I made the mistake of buying plants from the guy you warned us about--I plead
long senior moments. I tried his recommendation to plant in pure peat and
use, ugh, chemical fertilizer. Maybe it was my negative vibes that caused
them to do so poorly. One still lives but not vigorously.

I think my issue is I do everything organically and can't figure how to
fertilize them non-chemically. I also need to buy a soil test kit so I can
stay on top of soil pH. How do you feed your blueberry plants? How large a
planting hole do you make for them?

We went to a music festival a couple days ago. The featured group was Robin &
Linda Williams. Their foursome includes Chris Brashear, a young vet who plays
fabulous fiddle and apparently anything with strings on it. Most enjoyable.

Our son now has the grandson count up to four: ages two, four, sixteen,
eighteen. (Two different mothers.) The 18 yo plays guitar, makes videos of
his songs and covers of others', teaches guitar and has been hired to make
videos for a business. He has been accepted into Ryerson University in
Toronto, will be studying in the School of Radio and Television Arts.

We are fully enjoying the retired life. Chris has taken over gardening which
frees me up to build. I bought a bandsaw sawmill and am now building a shed
for that. Next on the list is a garden house/greenhouse, then a new front
porch and attached pit greenhouse, a big carport/porte-cochere, a north shed
on the shop for the backhoe, and then, if I can still lift tools, a
woodworking shop. It is said that happiness is something to do, someone to
love and something to look forward to. I have it covered.

It is very good to hear from you.

Gene