homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pumpkins - how to put up?

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pumpkins - how to put up?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 20:08:39 -0500

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Melody Oliphant
<merriemelody39 AT gmail.com>wrote:

> They last for a few months when cured & stored properly. Here is an article
> explaining it:
> http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2001/9-14-2001/squash.html
>
> I have stored winter squash this way and they've lasted well into the
> winter and early spring.
>
> I first read about it in one of the Little House books by Laura Ingalls
> Wilder. In the book, it said that Ma would store the cured squash in the
> attic where the girls' bedroom was and that they would use them as tables
> and chairs. :)

Thanks for the link, Melody--and the chuckle. What seems like 30 years ago,
but was only 12 (?!!), I read the entire LHotP series out loud to my sons
when they
were 4 and 9 (but it took us over a year to finish). I completely forgot
and have
only a faint memory of this story.

In fact, I joined this list right about that time. Way back in late
'98-early '99.
Now we're teaching Drivers Ed to the youngest.

lkvp