homestead - [Homestead] Pumpkins - how to put up?

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Pumpkins - how to put up?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 10:00:15 -0500

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 11/17/2011 7:20 PM, Robert Walton wrote:
> >> Been reading and watching since 1995.>>>
> > I think, me, too. 1995 or 96,
>
> I have been on this list since Andy started it in the early 90. It has
> waxed and waned over the years but until recently there was always at
> least a little activity. Hate to see it die.

So... let's bring it back little by little.

The last several mornings we've been enjoying watching our chickens eat
pumpkins that
we grew for decoration. Had them on our porch and the chickens took a
liking to them
almost right away so we moved them into the yard/field where they turned
into 'food.'

We harvested several long pie pumpkins--a new variety to me--and they're
nearly ripe and
ready to put up. Have read that most people do not put up pumpkin in
canning jars
(not even to pressure can) but our freezer space is fairly limited (even if
I stack flat in
pint or quart bags). I don't want to waste the pumpkins if I decide to
pressure can and then
the seal fails. We love pumpkin--made a great pumpkin soup w/ coconut milk,
onions & black
beans several days ago--but also pumpkin bread, muffins & pancakes.

How do you guys keep/store pumpkins or what's been your experience? Thanks!

Lisa Perry