homestead - [Homestead] Moving, was gas wells

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Moving, was gas wells
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:59:31 -0800

Well, we've been muttering and sputtering about moving for a couple of years now but the election this year was the straw. If the legalization of growing marijuana had passed, we wouldn't be prime real estate for the Mexican cartel, illegals and the rest of the criminal element who do gorilla grows and slash and burns. It didn't pass and you can just about see the line as they come up the highway.

Lots of folks in this county, residents who are homeowners and take care of their property, have grown for decades. I mean, we didn't get the name Emerald Triangle without reason. You could drive past those properties and never know a grow was going on. Now the undesireable element has moved in and they pollute the creeks, cause erosion and shot anything and anyone that comes near them.

Home invasions have become the norm. Not that we're worried about that. I mean, you'd have to be nuts to come on our place with Pugsley (105 pound Pitbull), Tuff-E (85 pound Pitcur Hound), Cali (65 pound AmStaff) and Tyson (65 pound Pit/Stafforshire X).

But we do get folks coming down the road really slow checking things out (we're next to the last house on a deadend private road). I turn the dogs out and we don't get repeats but the intent is clear.

So, like Bev, I don't get warm and fuzzies about our valley anymore either.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida AT comcast.net>

One of the reasons I left Minnesota (there was more than one) was "neighbors". I didn't mind the climate, the extended winter or the 25 miles to town so much as I enjoyed the solitude. With that guy next door I could 'see' the him putting in a security street light (since he arrived I'd been visited by the sheriff and the county health department), losing the stars would be too much. With neighbors that close (& itchy feet) it was time to go, we did.
(And I didn't have to spend all that money filling that propane tank!)