homestead - [Homestead] New garden

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] New garden
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 08:28:46 -0700

It will be a little late in the year when I get to start my new garden in the Ozarks but it will be started. First step will be to choose a spot. I have several good locations but I need to spend some time there to make the decision. Next step sill to to mow any grasses, one location I am thinking about is currently grown up in high grass. It would be along the path to the shop, no shading from trees. Once I pick out where I want to run water, another reason for the near shop location is that one of the first projects will be to get water to the shop.

For this year I will not be putting up a fence but in spring I will put up a chicken moat with chicken house. The house is surrounded by feed plots so I need to convince the deer that they have theirs, I have mine. The chicken house will be built sometime this summer.

I have heard that a good way to control grass is to use cardboard mulch. My thoughts are to figure out where I want the beds, do a
preliminary tilling, lay out some cardboard from the moving boxes, then build the beds.

Next spring will be when the bee hives are set out.

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU