homestead - Re: [Homestead] New garden

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New garden
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:28:22 -0700

We did lasagna rows here and DH mowed the area and then we cut up all our moving boxes and put them down. Covered them with grass and stuff and then mulch and planted. Worked great. Left the areas between rows wide enough to mow. Didn't do any tilling. Much easier!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>

It will be a little late in the year when I get to start my new garden
in the Ozarks but it will be started. First step will be to choose a
spot. I have several good locations but I need to spend some time there
to make the decision. Next step sill to to mow any grasses, one location
I am thinking about is currently grown up in high grass. It would be
along the path to the shop, no shading from trees. Once I pick out where
I want to run water, another reason for the near shop location is that
one of the first projects will be to get water to the shop.

For this year I will not be putting up a fence but in spring I will put
up a chicken moat with chicken house. The house is surrounded by feed
plots so I need to convince the deer that they have theirs, I have mine.
The chicken house will be built sometime this summer.

I have heard that a good way to control grass is to use cardboard mulch.
My thoughts are to figure out where I want the beds, do a
preliminary tilling, lay out some cardboard from the moving boxes, then
build the beds.

Next spring will be when the bee hives are set out.